Subject: Re: UFS status
To: Michael <>
From: Garrett D'Amore <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/26/2005 13:29:23
Michael wrote:

>>As I know there are different types of UFS with big and small
>>differents between them.
>>What types of UFS supported by NetBSD 3.0? Is any documentation
>>describing format of this UFS?
>>What about SunOS' ufs and HP-UX's ufs?
>Solaris UFS used to work, but more recent versions are incompatible (
>like Solaris 9 ) - both NetBSD and Solaris will choke or mess up when
>trying to mount the resp. other filesystem. I /think/ Solaris 2.6 and
>older worked, Solaris 2.4 definitely worked ( with NetBSD 1.1, ages ago
>Apple UFS ( 'UNIX filesystem' under MacOS X ) works perfectly fine, at
>least on macppc ( needs options COMPAT_APPLE_UFS though )
>have fun
I think the problem is that recent Sun versions have UFS logging turned
on by default.  The logging feature is apparently not compatible with

Garrett D'Amore
Sr. Staff Engineer          Extending the Power of 64-bit UNIX Computing
Tadpole Computer, Inc.                             Phone: (951) 325-2134