Subject: Re: SCSI MMC device abstraction and UDF patch for review
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@cs.stevens.edu>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/21/2005 21:18:55
--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o

Dear Hubert,

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 07:20:41PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2005, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
> There is no patch for cd.4 included.

true... since the ioctl's are not poured in stone yet and its even hidden=
=20
from userland i though i'd add these later on.

> What can one do with those MMC ioctls?

The ioctls are to provide=A0detailed information about the disc and drive=
=20
combination. Userland programs but also other kernel filingsystems like=20
iso9660 could use the information to allow multi-session iso CD's to be=20
mounted.

> mount_udf.8:
>  * No description of any of the flags (-m, -o, -t) is included

well partly in the rest of the manpage, but remember that this is just a=20
preliminary manpage. They'll need elaboration yes. The -m will be split up=
=20
the -m in -u and -g as suggested by Christos; this makes more sense indeed.

>  * Maybe add a HISTORY section to indicate when this hits NetBSD (4.0?)
>  * Maybe add a SEE ALSO section

as above, the manpage is not finished yet :)

>  * Maybe add a few more words to include all the nice buzzwords you
>    had in your mail (BlueRay, ...)?

oh? hmm... well a more or less complete list of supported features and=20
media won't hurt :) esp. not if ppl. read it for the first time or want to=
=20
check in advance if it'll be readable before they start burning discs.

> sys/fs/udf/udf_vfsops.c:
>  * indentation of those UDFD() calls looks strange

well yeah... but then again those UDFD() calls are meant as temporary=20
debugging code that'll be removed later anyway when parts are getting more=
=20
mature.

hope this answers your questions,
Reinoud