Subject: Re: Bluetooth update
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@cs.stevens.edu>
From: Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/18/2005 11:09:21
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Dec 2005, Iain Hibbert wrote:
> > etc/Makefile looked very complex, and I didnt want to burn my fingers
> > there.. how to add that?
>
> Put sources in src/etc/bluetooth, and have a Makefile in there with an
> 'install' target, then call this from src/etc/Makefile's install-etc-files
> target - see the examples for the "mtree" and "defaults" directories.

Ok I think I got it thanks, also I've put entries in the mtree/NetBSD.dist
(to create directory) and mtree/special (for /etc/security?) files which I
think covers it.

> SUSv3 just says it's "implementation-defined"
> (http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/socket.html).
> Again following prior art here may be good. Are there other systems than
> FreeBSD which can be looked at? What do they do?

Well, FreeBSD uses numbers that dont conflict with IP numbers defined in
/etc/protocols but they didnt actually add an entry there to 'reserve' the
number in case it ever became conflicting in the future (not sure how they
could in any case). The Affix and BlueZ protocol stacks for Linux define
implementation specific numbers (1, 2, 3 ...)

For other protocol families within NetBSD, I think it is implementaion
specific - looking a bit closer this morning reveals many twists and turns
but basically its on a per family basis so I think I'll stick with that.

iain