Subject: Re: Proposal about disklabels
To: None <dsl@netbsd.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/17/2005 20:58:27
On Dec 15, 2005, at 12:31 PM, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Dec 15, 2005, at 4:09 AM, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
>
>> A clean way to solve this problem for once and for all would be to :
>
> Let's not go off on a yak shaving exercise regarding disklabels.  A
> solution using wedges is already in the works.
>
> Instead, let's figure out a short-term solution for the UDF file
> system.
>
> I will look at this problem again tonight.

As promised, I looked into this some more (although it took me an
extra day to get to it).

Reinoud's patch is somewhat reasonable...
subr_disk_mbr.c:readdisklabel() is the only version of that function
that does not return "no disk label" when no label is found, as far
as I can tell.

What, exactly, depends on the semantics of it NOT returning that
message?

-- thorpej