Subject: Re: page replacement
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/15/2005 09:28:21
On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 10:21:00PM +0900, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
> i'm not sure if having more state bits is a win.
> extremely it ends up with LFU replacement, which is known to be very bad
> for general purposes.

Another way to look at it is that it gives you space to track both lru
_and_ lfu.  There are some algorithms, as we both know, that use that
information to do much better than either lru or lfu in many hard cases.

 Thor Lancelot Simon

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to be
 abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."		- Noam Chomsky