Subject: Re: My changes to subr_disc_mbr (Was Re: default generated disklabels get overwritten?)
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@cs.stevens.edu>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/15/2005 03:20:26
--0F1p//8PRICkK4MW

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 02:59:56AM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
> >providing a default label with commonly used filingsystems on it?
>
> Why would a disk device driver (which should only care for blocks, as far
> as I understand) be interested in a filesystem structure?

Normally nothing i agree! but they do have to deal with disklabel stuff in
the current design. And as such if no disklabel is recorded create a
`dummy' disklabel. If creating a disklabel why not make use of knowledge?
Say the acorn diskdriver trying to create `filecore' entries for floppies
since it knows its most likely to have them next to msdosfs ?

Or a CD driver that provides an ISO9660 and an UDF mountpoint (without
peeking into the disc for fs recognition structures)? Would help the user a
lot. The default label provided with a `unused' RAW partition and a 4.2BSD
cd0a isn't helping much.

An other approach could be to change mbr's readdisclabel to copy the
provided disklabel but then it assumes that its allways given a whole and
valid disklabel in the start wich might not be true too and has to checked
as well for each call...

Reinoud

--0F1p//8PRICkK4MW

--0F1p//8PRICkK4MW--