Subject: Re: what's it take to get a journaling filesystem?
To: Garrett D'Amore <>
From: rudolf <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/14/2005 17:29:17

Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> Porting ZFS looks like it would be a fun project, and a lot less effort
> than starting from scratch.  (Plus, having this filesystem in common
> with Solaris is likely to be useful in its own right.)

I have recently seen a lecture on ZFS and if I grasped it correctly, Sun
calls ZFS the disk (or generally the storage) pooling system together
with the filesystem and the manners it's possible to work with it.
Incidentally today I read some documentation for FreeBSD's GEOM
framework and it seems to me that besides the filesystem as such,
everything what Sun is calling 'ZFS' could be done within this BSD

I am at this moment definitelly not in a state I could compare the ZFS
and it's framework and GEOM, but I want to recommend all the interested
people to look at GEOM. :)