Subject: Re: access to external proms for PCI
To: matthew green <>
From: Garrett D'Amore <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/13/2005 21:20:37
matthew green wrote:

>   I'm inclined to seperate this functionality, though.  I think it should
>   be possible to get the entire expansion rom, unparsed, so that callers
>   can examine it for themselves.  Then having a routine to parse the
>   resultant image would be nice.
>FYI, there is a strong desire among many developers to unify the
>PCI and cardbus code.  API's or designs that move us further away
>from this goal seem like a bad idea.
I agree.  Maybe I wasn't clear.

I was talking about separating the parsing from the copying, not
separating PCI and Cardbus.  (Though I don't think the current Cardbus
is model is optimal -- I'd instead choose to move the current model to
what I'm proposing.)

    -- Garrett

Garrett D'Amore
Sr. Staff Engineer          Extending the Power of 64-bit UNIX Computing
Tadpole Computer, Inc.                             Phone: (951) 325-2134