Subject: Re: disabling PTHREAD_CONCURRENCY for 3.0
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/13/2005 17:47:09
On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 08:27:18AM -0800, Garrett D'Amore wrote:

> >this setup is in pthread_init(), which returns void.
> >this is called before main() as the constructor for the pthread library.
> >"return an error" in this case would mean "cause the process to exit".
> >

> I think its easy enough to just ignore the environment variable that
> sets it.

The problem is that you could still use a binary statically linked against the
old pthread library to crash the system.

> best, I think.
>
> >what compatibility issue are you concerned about?
> >

> Can't imagine what it would be -- this isn't part of an official API
> that I'm aware of.

But it's part of a statically-linked binary. Now, if the library doesn't
issue the syscall if the variable is not set, or the value is 1,
there's no problems.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>