Subject: Re: what's it take to get a journaling filesystem?
To: haad <haaaad@gmail.com>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/13/2005 08:39:12
Porting ZFS looks like it would be a fun project, and a lot less effort
than starting from scratch.  (Plus, having this filesystem in common
with Solaris is likely to be useful in its own right.)

But I don't know about the CDDL.  Since we would certainly be modifying
the actual CDDL source files it seems to have the source code
redistribution requirement as with GPL, and I'm not sure that having
this requirement with kernel files is a good idea.  (At least it isn't
viral like the GPL is, though.)

It seems like this might a good time for the foundation to make a
statement about inclusion of CDDL code in NetBSD, seeing as there is now
a large base of code distributed under those terms in the form of
OpenSolaris.

If a straight "port" can't be done, maybe someone can start looking at
the code and implement ZFS in a cleanroom approach.

    -- Garrett

--
Garrett D'Amore                          http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Sr. Staff Engineer          Extending the Power of 64-bit UNIX Computing