Subject: Re: twe status queries?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: john heasley <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/02/2005 19:23:55
Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 01:37:25PM -0500, der Mouse:
> Is there any way to check the status of the arrays without
> bringing the machine down to the BIOS?  If not, any idea how hard it
> would be to hack such a thing into the driver?  Doing RAID seems
> semi-useless if you don't hear about drive failures in time to replace
> them before a second drive fails and you lose data.

Any alerts, such as a failure of a drive that is part of an array, should
generate an AEN which should appear in syslog under the kern facility.

I know from your previous posts that it's not an option, but if you were
running 3.0, 3ware's FreeBSD version of their cli should work (tw_cli).
I did not request pull-ups for those changes.

Or, you can try

The former claims to report the 'smart' information (info cN pN smart), but
it does not work on my system.  The latter does not, but IIRC I figured out
how to get the data...but I do not know what to do with it. :)  That info
may not even be useful; I don't know.

hope that helps.