Subject: Re: 2.0 and >2T filesystems
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/28/2005 13:35:51
>> I don't know if the twe driver is 2TB clean or not. However if you
>> use RAIDFrame, this may not be an issue.
> The "twe" driver isn't because the "twe" hardware isn't.  It only
> supports 32-bit block numbers.

...and the BIOS enforces this; when I tried to configure a 12x"300G"
RAID 5, it informed me that the capacity of the resulting array would
be clipped to 2TB.

I've now got it set up as two 6x"300G" arrays, which I'm then pasting
together with RAIDframe RAID 0; the result is the "disk" I've been
playing with all the >2T stuff on.  Annoying to lose two disks, instead
of just one, to RAID overhead, but the alternative (RAIDframe RAID 5)
would involve either I-don't-know-what hacks to get at the underlying
disks attached to the twe or a new SATA cards sufficient to attach 12
disks, and each looked less attractive than giving up two drives
instead of one to overhead.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign