Subject: Re: Missing COMPAT32 Syscalls
To: Christos Zoulas <>
From: Frank van der Linden <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/25/2005 10:53:58
Christos Zoulas wrote:

>In article <>,
>Gary Duzan  <> wrote:
>>  Has anyone looked into what it would take to implement the SA
>>syscalls for compat32? It would be useful to be able to run threaded
>>i386 software on my amd64 box. If it is feasible I might be able to
>>contribute some sweat equity to the cause.
>I don't think it is very difficult... But then again, I have not looked
>into it.
It isn't difficult, but it's annoying. The SA code directly copies out
structures that are different in size for 32 vs. 64 bit. And that's
buried in the code in kern_sa.c. So it requires some code duplication,
and/or ugly extra hooks.

I made a start on it once, but I can't remember where I put the code..

- Frank