Subject: Re: Proposal: eliminate all macros in the kernel
To: Tonnerre LOMBARD <tonnerre@ffii.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/22/2005 03:44:30
On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 08:51:32AM +0100, Tonnerre LOMBARD wrote:
> Salut,
>
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 08:30:08PM -0500, Jed Davis wrote:
> > It Would Be Nice If the compiler could attempt to decide on its own
> > whether a particular function should be inlined, since it's likely to
> > know more about the situation on a given architecture than we do.
>
> That's exactly what happens. See -finline-limit.

Yes, but only within a compilation unit.  There are compilers that do
better as part of interprocerdural optimization during the link stage
for an executable but our current GCC is not one.

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to be
 abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."		- Noam Chomsky