Subject: Re: Proposal: eliminate all macros in the kernel
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Tonnerre LOMBARD <tonnerre@thundrix.ch>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/20/2005 19:04:22
--fWddYNRDgTk9wQGZ

Salut,

On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 12:39:10PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> One particular case I was wondering about was the queue.h macros.  Their
> use is pervasive and they seem mostly harmless; changing them to inline
> functions would give us a major API difference from other BSDs for what
> seems like little reason.  Thoughts?

I think that some of the macros can be turned into inlines without
constituting a particular change to the user, such as SLIST_REMOVE and
others that work alike.

However, some have to be kept intact by all means, such as
SLIST_FOREACH, STAILQ_HEAD_INITIALIZER, STAILQ_ENTRY and workalikes.

I remember doing something similar for Linux. No big deal. API
compliance can be taken care of.

				Tonnerre

--fWddYNRDgTk9wQGZ

--fWddYNRDgTk9wQGZ--