Subject: Re: device special files
To: Petar Bogdanovic <p+netbsd@2005.smokva.net>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@Pescadero.dsg.stanford.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/15/2005 23:52:10
In message <437AE16B.7020906@2005.smokva.net>Petar Bogdanovic writes
>Matthew Mondor wrote:
>Thanks, I will take a look at the archives!

I second Steven Bellovin's reply. Given the questionss asked I'll go
further: do not woak, run to obtain a copy of

Bell Systems Technical Journal, Special Issue on Unix, 	July/August 1978.

The second Speical Issue on Unix with the ``death star'' logo is (or
was) also readily available.  Where else can one read what streams
meant, when not shouted?

The CACM paper Steven cites is, in original,  in that issue.
The yellow-cover edition is available for cheap, as it was published
in bulk as a textbook. I bought my first and second copies at third-world
university bookstores.  The original blue-cover editions cost a lot more,
last time I looked.

Steven: no gripes, if one should cite, cite original sources. Not that
I can talk, on NetBSD lists I cite from memory, and thus I almost
mis-cite almost as often as I get it right. OTOH this one, you or I
one should be able to quote the page numbers.)