Subject: Re: umass woe: sd0(umass0:0:0): readonly device & drive offline
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@Pescadero.dsg.stanford.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/15/2005 19:36:40
In message <20051116020750.GD17325@netbsd.org>,
Bill Studenmund writes:

>I think the problem is that your camera has a different idea as to what
>"removable" media means. It's supposed to mean that there's a door and you
>can take stuff out of the drive; after "removal," you still have a SCSI
>device but it has no disk.
>
>So locking the door makes a LOT of sense.
>
>Your camera is using a different definition of removable, because you can
>unhook the whole SCSI device from the computer. Unfortunately that's not
>what the SCSI spec meant...

point is taken. Unfortuately, those of us who remember what
``real'' removable media was (oh, that RK03!), are not only
outnumbered and showing our age, but more-or-less irrelevant, compared
to today's consumer marketplace.

Punting on a quirk for USB "removable" devices have been justifiable
10 years ago; to me, today, it makes no sense at all.

Unless... is there some way we can implement the quirk for USB-attached storage,
but not for "real" SCSI (parallel SCSI, FC, ..) devices??
Is that a fruitful approach?