Subject: Re: umass woe: sd0(umass0:0:0): readonly device & drive offline
To: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/15/2005 10:57:46
Michael van Elst wrote:

> feyrer@cs.stevens.edu (Hubert Feyrer) writes:
>
> >On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> >> Now let me see if I can get this to work in my netbsd-2 branch sources...
>
> >Confirmed working.
> >I dare saying that this would work on the netbsd-3 branch too.
>
> >which brings me to the question why that code was backed out (judging by
> >the fact that the number for the quirk is unallocated). Maybe there's
> >another solution than to put that back in? Or was that just never
> >committed? (Seeing that the PR is in 'feedback' state)... Charles?
>
> The code was backed out because it deemed unnecessary for standard
> conforming devices. A better solution would be to find a standard
> conforming way to detect such misbehaving devices to catch a large
> group of them.
> However in case of that PR this wouldn't be possible, because the
> device resets itself for unimplemented commands.

Hubert- does the device come with its own Windows drivers, or do you
know if the windows copes on its own?  Also, do we know if Linux has
quirks to support this?  It would be great not to need the quirk,
but if there's really nothing we can do that I'm more than happy to
live with it.

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/