Subject: Re: free space (was /dev) on tmpfs problem
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/14/2005 15:05:10
--IDYEmSnFhs3mNXr+

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 09:42:16AM +1100, matthew green wrote:
>   =20
>    >> So there are two problems:
>    >>  1. tmpfs is not reporting free space sanely for df
>    >>  2. tmpfs is apparently not allowing itself to compete with file =
=20
>    >> cache
>    >>     for free-memory resources.
>    >
>    > yes, and my suggestted patch (mandate -s) solves both of them.
>   =20
>    I totally support yamt's patch ... mandating -s is a reasonable =20
>    solution.
>=20
> how does one have a default /tmp tmpfs for a fresh install?
>=20
> i talked to some folks familiar with linux tmpfs.  unless a
> size is specified, it uses half of ram.  i guess in this case
> it's like passing -s but is dynamically calculated.

I like this idea.

An alternative would be for the -s option to have units, and have some=20
form of unit that represents percent of ram. '%' is problematic as scripts=
=20
will parse it, but if we could add a "50%" or "40%" or whatever % default=
=20
for sysinst, that would aleviate the default install concern.

Take care,

Bill

--IDYEmSnFhs3mNXr+

--IDYEmSnFhs3mNXr+--