Subject: Re: netbsd DHCP vendor class identifier (VCI)
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/14/2005 14:40:47
Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2005, at 6:31 AM, Martin Husemann wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 04:52:17PM -0800, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>>
>>> My proposal, therefore, is to add a field, like this:
>>>
>>>    snprintf(vci, sizeof(vci), "%s:%s:%s:kernel:%s", ostype, machine,
>>>        machine_arch, osrelease);
>>

>> How about leaving out machine_arch if it is equal to machine here?
>> This would keep archs where the current state already works  compatible.
>

> machine_arch is almost never the same as machine.

There is one common case, though.  i386.  I'd think this would be the
case that would be the source of most of the complaints. :-)  Of course,
this is also probably the arch least likely to be diskless...

    -- Garrett

--
Garrett D'Amore                          http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Sr. Staff Engineer          Extending the Power of 64-bit UNIX Computing