Subject: Re: Introducing environment in autoconf(9)
To: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/12/2005 02:14:39
On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 01:33:11AM +0100, Quentin Garnier wrote:
>  The reason for that is that the ACPI
> table itself doesn't carry enough information to allow us to match a
> device in the ACPI table to a device found by autoconf, and in return,
> given a device, it's almost impossible to extract its ACPI counterpart.

Ok. If that would be solvable, I bet most other problems would have
easy, obvious solutions.

In the OpenFirmware world we face many of the problems you describe, but it
is always very easy to know the firmware device node coresponding to a device
you just start to discover in autoconfig. You can then easily walk the OF
tree around and collect all necessary information "on demand". Everything
else you can store in device properties and retrieve later (but this
mostly makes MI drivers live easier, by abstracting MD things into
abstract properties)

Martin