Subject: Re: gcc4.0
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@astron.com>
From: Vincent <10.50@free.fr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/03/2005 10:05:45
Christos Zoulas a écrit :

> The biggest obstacle is that the gcc-4.0 build uses gmake features and it
> is difficult to make it build with another make variant. We'll either have
> to add gmake features to our make, or change the build process.

There is more than alternative. "We" could:

1. add gmake features to "our" make, but it is worth the work for a
single program?
2. add gmake to the standard tools, since it is anyhow requested as soon
as one begins to build packages;
3. make this addition conditional, let's say according to some variable
value, so that people who do not want gmake could still do without;
4. Build gmake together with gcc4 during the build process, then clean
it out when gcc is done.
5. Etc.

Vincent