Subject: Re: gcc4.0
To: Richard Earnshaw <Richard.Earnshaw@buzzard.freeserve.co.uk>
From: software.au@gmail.com <software.au@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/03/2005 10:54:48
> No.  Support for 3.3 has ceased, but 3.4 is still being supported.

Right.  Support for 3.4 is going away real soon now.

> My personal feeling is that we should wait for 4.1 before switching, but
> that's mainly down to my paranoia about .0 releases.

Sometimes I am even inclined to wait for x.3, to make damn sure it's a
compiler bug and not a bug in my code.  Optimizing kernel code with a
new compiler especially is a danger zone.  Often bits that really
should be declared "volatile" just get optimized away.

I suffer greatly from .0 paranoia... ;-)