Subject: libsa trouble reading a CD with ustarfs on macppc
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/02/2005 14:15:02
--5gxpn/Q6ypwruk0T

In http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2005/11/02/0003.html ,=20
Christian Muller describes problems he has trying to get ofwboot to read=20
off of a CD.

At the very bottom of the post, he describes what I see is the main issue. =
=20
ustarfs.c:real_fs_cylinder_read() keeps trying (over and over) to read
from the disk even though DEV_STRATEGY
(sys/arch/macppc/stand/ofboot.c:strategy()) is reporting only 0 bytes
read each time.

So the question is what should be changed? Unfortunately I'm not sure=20
where (if?) we document libsa's i/o interface, so I haven't found a=20
definitive answer.

I see two ways this can be fixed. Either we have ustarfs() give up after a=
=20
while, or we have ofboot:strategy() return an error if OF_read() returns 0=
=20
bytes read. To be honest, I think both are useful. :-)

Thoughts?

Take care,

Bill

--5gxpn/Q6ypwruk0T