Subject: libsa trouble reading a CD with ustarfs on macppc
To: None <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/02/2005 14:15:02

In ,=20
Christian Muller describes problems he has trying to get ofwboot to read=20
off of a CD.

At the very bottom of the post, he describes what I see is the main issue. =
ustarfs.c:real_fs_cylinder_read() keeps trying (over and over) to read
from the disk even though DEV_STRATEGY
(sys/arch/macppc/stand/ofboot.c:strategy()) is reporting only 0 bytes
read each time.

So the question is what should be changed? Unfortunately I'm not sure=20
where (if?) we document libsa's i/o interface, so I haven't found a=20
definitive answer.

I see two ways this can be fixed. Either we have ustarfs() give up after a=
while, or we have ofboot:strategy() return an error if OF_read() returns 0=
bytes read. To be honest, I think both are useful. :-)

Take care,