Subject: gcc4.0
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org, tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/02/2005 16:53:22
So gcc4 has gone to 4.0.2. There still doesn't seem to be an adopted
pkg in the lang/ space.

Last time there was any discussion, things kinda frosted out. (July
of this year) OK, so new compilers often have regressions, but there are
two sides to this coin: if we don't see a pkg, or work to test NetBSD
against the newer compiler than (a) regressions don't get found and (b)
we wind up being stuck on old compilers which has *HUGE* downside costs
when packages people use in real-world deployments start depending on
the newer compiler features (and that has happened in the past to
pkgsrc)

I am not a coder. so I am admittedly whining, caveat emptor applies.
But can we *please* see some core team activity to at least flag that
we need gcc4 tested against the code, and some indication on how things
might stand in the future..

Do we have a plan to get gcc4 into pkgsrc space?

Do we have a plan to test gcc4 across the platforms, to see what breaks
in userspace and the kernel?

Do we skip 3.4?

-George