Subject: Re: PR 31468 -- distributed LKMs are not useful because of incompatible config
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/01/2005 21:58:59
On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 10:04:32AM -0800, Chuck Silvers wrote:
> I think that anyone using -current will be capable of deciding for
> themselves whether they want these options or not.  rather than add
> a requirement that people making release branches also go and change
> a zillion config files, I'd prefer to just turn this off in GENERIC
> in -current too.

I'm all for having them off in GENERIC.  I wouldn't balk at a
GENERIC.DIAG or GENERIC.DEBUG that includes GENERIC and adds
DIAGNOSTIC or DEBUG & DIAGNOSTIC (not configurations that
would be built by default, but easily accessed).

I'm also all for having a policy that we keep elements in
structures regardless of the options and just make code
dependent on those options.  If anyone's keeping count of
opinions...

-allen

--
                  Use NetBSD!  http://www.NetBSD.org/