Subject: Re: PR 31468 -- distributed LKMs are not useful because of incompatible config
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/30/2005 19:47:19
On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 08:38:11PM +0100, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 06:30:44PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> > I think that DIAGNOSTIC and DEBUG do not belong in GENERIC kernels.
>
> It was also suggested to have DIAGNOSTIC in GENERIC for -current, and turn
> it off before releases IIRC.

How feasible would it be to make the DIAGNOSTIC and DEBUG tests boot time
(or even sysctl changeable) options?

If nothing else it would reduce the number of 'standard' kernels we build!
As well as making it easier to run a kernel with the tests enabled.

I also wonder how many of the build options necessarily change the code?
If only MP did, then we'd only need to compile all the kernel files twice
and be able to link any kernel we liked - adding or removing drivers at will.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk