Subject: Re: SMBus implementation
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/28/2005 20:58:20
On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 12:06 -0400, Nathan J. Williams wrote:
> Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org> writes:
>
> > So, iic uses indirect config.  But, I believe that smbus can actually
> > use direct config (isn't there some handshaking method to determine
> > which devices are on an SMBus?)  If that is the case, then maybe it
> > makes sense to attach an smbus instance to an iic instance (iff
> > specified in the kernel config file).
>
> Somewhat like isapnp* at isa?, no?

I take it that something like 'isapnp* at isa?' is quite uncommon?

I now have iic attaching to viapcib, but it just occurred to me that to
attach to iic I need to specify an 'addr'. How does isapnp@isa get
around this? Is it simply possible because ISA doesn't have strict
requirements on attach args? Will anybody scream bloody murder if I make
'addr' optional in i2c_attach_args?

Cheers,
Jared