Subject: Re: FreeBSD 5/6/7 kernel emulator for NetBSD 2.x
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/28/2005 15:52:42
>> And what are we then supposed to do on another class of "modern
>> systems", embedded systems which are required to have certain
>> elements of their configurations static for security reasons (or in
>> order to obtain certain security certifications)?
> And you will still be able to do that.  Who says the devfs can't be
> mounted read-only?

Nobody, but it won't work (as in, won't achieve the desired end) to do
so, since there is no guarantee that the device nodes available this
mount will match the device nodes available next mount - or even the
device nodes available in five minutes, since one of the goals of devfs
is to create and destroy /dev entries live.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign