Subject: Re: Finally increasing vm.execmin by default
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@incubus.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/28/2005 17:48:36
Todd Vierling wrote:

> If a system has many GiB of memory, it should be up to the admin to lower
> the execmin in order to gain yet more fs or anon page cache.  It should
> *not* be up to the users of systems with modest memory to raise them.

IMHO it should be the task of the system to autotune itself. I mean, how
many people know about these knobs, when they don't experience any
serious problems (but might unknowingly be having suboptimal
performance)? I didn't, and I have been using NetBSD for years.
Who _wants_ to fiddle around with obscure sysctl settings, trying to get
to a kernel parameter configuration that might work substantially
better? The system should tune itself, we're not in the 70ies anymore.

mkb.