Subject: Re: FreeBSD 5/6/7 kernel emulator for NetBSD 2.x
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/28/2005 02:39:10
On Thursday 27 October 2005 03:53 pm, der Mouse wrote:
> If making changes to /dev with chmod/chown/mv/etc results in those
> files getting rewritten to match, it's fine.  If not, it's not.

I totally agree, this is exactly the reason I highly dislike Linux's udev.
Personally as a unix-adept user/admin I would prefer to see a static /dev
remain. Call me old-fashioned, but to me this is part of what makes a
unix-like operating system a unix-like operating system. Anyway, isn't having
extra code for adding entries to devfs, etc. just extra bloat? If it is
decided to implement this I'm sure that, like OpenPAM (another thing I wasn't
too thrilled about), it will be far better than the "equivalent" Linux
implementation.

	Jonathan Kollasch