Subject: Re: devfs, was Re: FreeBSD 5/6/7 kernel emulator for NetBSD 2.x
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pcah8322@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/28/2005 01:00:00
On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 03:49:42PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> The "userland" in my text above would be the devfs setup code (script and

Ah, I haven't understood that.

> data) that runs at boot to set devfs up as wanted. That code would use
> locators to figure out that "sd3" really should be "sd6" and so forth. And
> it would make changes to devfs such that it was so.
>
> Everything else in userland isn't going to change. cdrecord is still going
> to open /dev/rcd0d.

What if the devfs implementation decides that "cd0" should be "cd1"? Now,
configuration files for such programs (most important example is
fsck, mount and /etc/fstab if as you say "sd3" moves to "sd6", but also
cdrdao, cdrecord etc.) will have to be changed.

Pavel Cahyna