Subject: Re: devfs, was Re: FreeBSD 5/6/7 kernel emulator for NetBSD 2.x
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/27/2005 15:49:42
--aZoGpuMECXJckB41

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 11:13:57PM +0200, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 09:10:05AM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 09:29:52AM +0200, pcah8322@artax.karlin.mff.cun=
i.cz wrote:
> > > I think it does matter, because all userland programs use device name=
s,
> > > not locators. If permissions are enforced by an userland program, they
> > > will not follow locators.
> >=20
> > Oh, but part of all of this would be that userland would be able to fin=
d=20
> > out the locators for a device! It won't work any other way.
>=20
> Being able to find the locators is not enough, it would be necessary to
> modify all the userland tools to use them, including pkgsrc software like
> cdrecord, cdrdao, sane ... Isn't it easier to simply use locators as
> device names and let the userland use device names?

Uhm, I think you came into the middle of the discussion.

The "userland" in my text above would be the devfs setup code (script and=
=20
data) that runs at boot to set devfs up as wanted. That code would use=20
locators to figure out that "sd3" really should be "sd6" and so forth. And=
=20
it would make changes to devfs such that it was so.

Everything else in userland isn't going to change. cdrecord is still going=
=20
to open /dev/rcd0d.

Take care,

Bill