Subject: Re: FreeBSD 5/6/7 kernel emulator for NetBSD 2.x
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/26/2005 17:48:06
--J4XPiPrVK1ev6Sgr

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 10:55:39AM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>=20
> On Oct 26, 2005, at 10:22 AM, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>=20
> >In the past, we (NetBSD folks) have talked about a devfs. One issue =20
> >that
> >has come up (I'll be honest, I've raised it a lot) is a desire to =20
> >retain
> >permission changes across boots, and to tie devices (when possible) =20
> >to a
> >device-specific attribute rather than a probe order.
>=20
> The permission thing is solvable using scripts that can fix up the =20
> perms after mount.
>=20
> The "nodes named after attributes" thing is interesting... and =20
> largely something I'm concerned about with wedges, although in that =20
> case, it's pretty easy to handle from within wedges itself.

Right, wedges are an easier case. :-)

The reason I'm interested in locators is so that if devices renumber
themselves, the permissions follow. I am assuming, but I think we'd rather
not use locators for names (/dev/sd.52004567BA64678D anyone?). But if we=20
can tie the permissions to a locator, then it doesn't matter if it's sd2=20
or sd12. :-)

For wedges, an advantage would be that you couldn't somehow steal=20
permissions by creating or removing duplicate-named wedges.

Take care,

Bill

--J4XPiPrVK1ev6Sgr

--J4XPiPrVK1ev6Sgr--