Subject: Re: FreeBSD 5/6/7 kernel emulator for NetBSD 2.x
To: Bill Studenmund <>
From: Rui Paulo <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/26/2005 19:14:03

On 2005.10.26 10:22:52 -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
| On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 10:35:47PM +0200, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
| >=20
| > Main features:
| >=20
| > - Implements FreeBSD's devfs on NetBSD.
| In the past, we (NetBSD folks) have talked about a devfs. One issue that=
| has come up (I'll be honest, I've raised it a lot) is a desire to retain=
| permission changes across boots, and to tie devices (when possible) to a=
| device-specific attribute rather than a probe order.
| Does FreeBSD's devfs support locators and persistent information? Are=20
| there plans to support something like that, if not?

I remember Linux's devfs having a configure file for that particular
objective. The user would set the permission flags in (I can't recall
if this is the real name) /etc/devfsd.conf and let devfsd do the job.

You could also use another directory for permissions, like /dev-state,
but personally, I don't like this method.

		-- Rui Paulo