Subject: Re: removing VOPs
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/23/2005 19:49:31
On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 07:12:39AM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2005, at 6:22 AM, Chuck Silvers wrote:
>
> >I'll update my directio tree to current top-of-tree this weekend
> >and see what else still needs to be done there.

ok, I see one thing that I was ignoring before.  we need to avoid
doing directio on mapped files (since the locking is insane otherwise).
right now, we don't know if a file is mapped, so we need to add code
to track that.  this knowledge is useful for other optimizations too,
such as letting us skip reading pages in order to overwrite them even
when they're within the file size when doing buffered i/o.
I'll see about implementing this soon.

-Chuck