Subject: Re: if_iwi patch
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/14/2005 23:04:12
On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 06:43:27AM +1000, matthew green wrote:

>    +		if (error)
>    +			panic("%s: unable to remap rx buf",
>    +			    sc->sc_dev.dv_xname);
>

> this seems a bit vicious.. please don't panic because a dma
> operation coldn't be performed.

The background is that to handle it properly a lot of work is necessary.
I might point to dev/ic/i82557.c (fxp_add_rfabuf) for precedence. Let me
put it the other way around, how shall I properly handle this case? I
can't load the new mbuf, but I can't also reload the old mbuf.

Under which circumstances is a preallocated mapping allowed to fail,
which isn't also a programming erorr? I can't think of any.

Joerg