Subject: Re: 3.0_BETA + no keyboard = panic
To: Stephen Borrill <>
From: Manuel Bouyer <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/14/2005 17:55:36
On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 04:33:14PM +0100, Stephen Borrill wrote:
> I noticed the other day that when I try to start X on my i386 3.0_BETA
> machine without a keyboard plugged in, it panics. However, as X has
> switched away from the console (blanked the screen), I can't get any
> panic information. Moreover, attaching a serial console is sufficient to
> make X work. As you can imagine this makes it difficult to debug...
> This is an embedded machine running from CF, so I've not got too many
> tools around to use.
> Any ideas of avenues of attack to track this down?

Is the swap partition large enouth for the kernel to dump core ?
If so try sysctl -w ddb.onpanic=0

If this isn't possible, you can try to get the keyboard code from X and
run this in a simple program (which won't turn the screen to graphic mode).
My guess is that it panics when trying to open the keyboard device, or
do some ioctl to initialise it.

Manuel Bouyer <>