Subject: Re: 3.0_BETA + no keyboard = panic
To: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/14/2005 17:55:36
On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 04:33:14PM +0100, Stephen Borrill wrote:
> I noticed the other day that when I try to start X on my i386 3.0_BETA
> machine without a keyboard plugged in, it panics. However, as X has
> switched away from the console (blanked the screen), I can't get any
> panic information. Moreover, attaching a serial console is sufficient to
> make X work. As you can imagine this makes it difficult to debug...
>
> This is an embedded machine running from CF, so I've not got too many
> tools around to use.
>
> Any ideas of avenues of attack to track this down?

Is the swap partition large enouth for the kernel to dump core ?
If so try sysctl -w ddb.onpanic=0

If this isn't possible, you can try to get the keyboard code from X and
run this in a simple program (which won't turn the screen to graphic mode).
My guess is that it panics when trying to open the keyboard device, or
do some ioctl to initialise it.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>