Subject: Re: Unlocking an unlocked mutex
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Vincent <10.50@free.fr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/13/2005 19:24:46
Bill Studenmund a écrit :

> My day job is writing an application that uses pthreads. These assertions
> REALLY help. The problem with unlocking an unlocked mutex is that you most
> likely just finished modifying data that another thread thought _it_ had
> exclusive access to. You can end up with problems showing up in whatever
> code goes to use the unprotected data, so the end error looks like it's
> miles away from where the bug is.

Could be. As I said, I did not analysed the program quite more. The
error happens as you switch between audio channels, so I presume the
mutex has to do with allocating the audio hardware. Or something close.
Anyhow, ignoring the error does not cause any core dump or malfunction.
So I assume it is just *dirty* programming.

Cheerio
Vincent