Subject: Re: wedges and DEV_BSIZE (Was Re: removing VOPs)
To: SODA Noriyuki <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/10/2005 18:23:37
On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 02:09:48AM +0900, SODA Noriyuki wrote:

> > all of the devices that I know of with such restrictions on writing have
> > a sector size of 512 bytes or larger, so this isn't an issue in practice.
>
> Well, some older pc98 uses 256bytes/sector.
> Of course, currently pc98 isn't supported by NetBSD, though...

by "such restrictions" I was referring to the devices reinoud had mentioned,
things like CD-RW where rewriting a sector is not as simple as just writing
it again.  for normally-rewritable things like floppies that just have a
sector size smaller than 512 bytes, we can work around the interface limitation
if anyone really wants to.  but I just don't see it being worthwhile to
change the device strategy interface for such obscure devices at this point.

-Chuck