Subject: Re: wedges and DEV_BSIZE (Was Re: removing VOPs)
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/10/2005 21:21:25
--DBIVS5p969aUjpLe

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 08:39:51AM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 02:37:21PM +0200, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
> I doubt it. I also don't think it'd be preferable. Changing disklabeling
> will be a big-enough issue, let's not complicate things.

it wouldn't mean changing if the disk is 512 bytes/sector ;)

> I think you should look at how things work now. DEV_BSIZE is not limiting
> how file systems work.

it does! The filing system now to has to make sure it is allways
sending/requesting a multiple of 512 for the sector size bringing the
burdon to the filingsystem.

> Our device drivers don't support read-modify-write operations now; all
> reads and writes have to be a multiple of the underlying sector size.

scsipi's cd.c does :-S

> At this point in time, DEV_BSIZE is just a unit in which block numbers for
> bread() and bwrite() are counted.

and this is part of the evil... for calculations have to be made
translating them to sector numbers and back.

Regards,
Reinoud

--DBIVS5p969aUjpLe

--DBIVS5p969aUjpLe--