Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/etc/etc.macppc
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/10/2005 07:46:07
--VS++wcV0S1rZb1Fb

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 07:56:18AM +0200, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 06:50:14PM -0400, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> > On Oct 7, 11:20pm, pcah8322@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz (Pavel Cahyna) wro=
te:
> > | On platforms which have multiple drivers for serial ports, what would=
 be
> > | the major number of /dev/tty0?
> >=20
> > it would be different depending on the '?'. I am not sure I like this m=
uch,
>=20
> Wouldn't this put a hard limit on the number of ports of one type that one
> can have?
>=20
> > but the alternative is to go to /dev/ttyXXX like other drivers do, or u=
se
> > tty1? tty2? etc.
>=20
> That one too?

Yes & no.

It would put a limit on the number of ports of a type you could have
without having a discontinuity in the numbering when you use the default
MAKEDEV script.

macppc used to have tty00 and tty01 be the zstty serial ports, and tty10
was a com serial port. That leaves room for 8 zstty serial ports w/o
having to skip around. If you do skip 10 throuh 19, you then have the
whole field open.

It's not been my experience that folks add a lot of zstty or com serial=20
ports. Thus I don't think tty00/01/10 naming is an issue. If you are=20
adding more than ten of either, you have to roll your own MAKEDEV, so the=
=20
numbering isn't that big a deal.

Take care,

Bill