Subject: wedges and DEV_BSIZE (Was Re: removing VOPs)
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/08/2005 14:37:21
--huq684BweRXVnRxX

Hiya Jason, hiya Folks

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 08:42:15AM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> No objections here -- I'm all for simplifying the VFS layer.

That brings me to the following question regarding DEV_BSIZE (see
discusstion earlier on tech-kern):

Is the wedge system to provide a new interface for filingsystems to disc
devices or wouldn't that be preferable?

Wouldn't it then be the time to also scrap the fixed DEV_BSIZE blocksize
interface to discs to replace it with a *sector-size* oriented interface so
various filingsystems like msdosfs and udf eventually can support non 512
bytes/sector filingsystems?

There has been several patches around for yonks that fixes these issues but
they were never integrated. Our msdosfs f.e. doesn't support non 512
bytes/sector devices. Filingsystems DO change on sectorsize and devices
like DVD/CD+-(M)R(W) can't just do read-modify-write cycle to cope with
blocksizes smaller than the sector size.

Regards,
Reinoud

--huq684BweRXVnRxX

--huq684BweRXVnRxX--