Subject: Re: scheduler_wait_hook
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/06/2005 13:44:12
On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 04:24:38PM +0900, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
> if no one objects, i'll commit the following patch.

So effectively, if the child has accumulated more estimated cpu time,
the parent takes that on, but no more until it executes more.  This
makes sense to me for most cases.

The case where I think it does not make sense is if a process forks
a few times, does some work and consumes a lot of CPU resources.
The existing method will intentionally charge the sum of that usage
to the parent, causing a fairly strong feedback to slow the parent
(and newly spawned children) down.  I'm not sure that this is
sufficient justification for keeping things the way they are (it
seems a less common case and I don't know if this feedback is even
really useful there).

-allen

--
                  Use NetBSD!  http://www.NetBSD.org/