Subject: Re: your mail
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/06/2005 12:08:33
Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 01:56:37AM -0700, Jonathan Stone wrote:
> > Is this perhaps a misunderstanding of what was intended (on my part)
>
> I think the question is: why reserve the syscall numbers now, and not when
> all the work is commited? Worst case you might have to move the numbers
> after your final update before commit - no big deal IMHO.

It depends on the timescale. I thought Jonathan said he wanted to
commit things within a week, which seems short enough that he's
unlikely to be bitten by having to change syscall numbers. However, on
longer development timelines (months, say), it really is a pain to
keep rearranging your syscall numbers when you do imports to your
branch or private tree. Discovering that you have to rebuild libc and
all of your static testing applications is very annoying.

        - Nathan