Subject: Re: Versioning config files
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/02/2005 17:44:50
Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de> writes:

> On Sun, 2 Oct 2005, Quentin Garnier wrote:
>
> > There is a point in having several versions of config syntax *a day*?
>
> Sounds likely to me.
>
> > I mean, I want the versioning, but I sure hope there won't be as many
> > bumps as twice a year.

One can argue that on the second bump in a day the bumper should stop
for a day to think about what they really mean...

> Personally, I'd prefer to keep our tools and sources in sync.
> I imagine updating config(8) to handle older syntax doesn't help to
> make the code better.

I didn't get the impression this was proposed; I thought that the
entire point of config versioning was to turn 'syntax error' into 'use
the right version of config'.

An alternative might be to add a printed message to the syntax error
case, warning to use nbconfig from the tools bin dir.  Versioning is
like that, but more complex, more reliable at detecting old tools, and
gives rise to notions of allowing incompatible changes, rather than
detecting use of new features with old config programs.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>