Subject: Re: RFC: patch to change the disk I/O scheduler via dkctl(8)
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/29/2005 11:40:28
--3uo+9/B/ebqu+fSQ

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 07:32:51PM +0900, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/xtraeme/bufq_on_the_fly.diff
>=20
> - is there any point to change "sortmethod" on the fly?
>   it's characteristics of the device.

I thought the answer to your question would be that we have different sort=
=20
methods which are better for different workloads, so that changing on the=
=20
fly would make sense if the workload shifts (or if powerup code needs to=20
set up the right scheduler).

However this diff seems to omit mention of some of the schedulers I=20
thought were very interesting in this regard, so I am not sure what is=20
going on.

Take care,

Bill

--3uo+9/B/ebqu+fSQ