Subject: Re: Handling orphans in config(1)
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/24/2005 22:55:34
On Sat, 24 Sep 2005, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> First, the way config(1) currently detects orphans is broken:  it will
> not warn about doing the following:
>
>     include "arch/i386/conf/GENERIC"
>     no pci* at mainbus?
>
> although it disables completely PCI support.

... and it will warn about this:

    pciide* at pci? dev ? function ? flags 0x0000
    wdc0    at isa? port 0x1f0 irq 14 flags 0x00
    wdc1    at isa? port 0x170 irq 15 flags 0x00
    atabus* at ata?
    wd0     at atabus0 drive 0

atabus0 is not explicitly mentioned anywhere, so config complains that
wd0 is orphaned.  At run time, there is either an atabus0 at pciide0, or
an atabus0 at wdc0, and wd0 attaches fine in both cases.  It seems to me
that this case should work without a warning, but (at present) at least
it works.  I hope your patch doesn't make it stop working.

--apb (Alan Barrett)