Subject: Re: interprocessor communication
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/24/2005 09:52:52
On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 11:04:12PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 02:28:01AM +0200, jerry@evasefor.com wrote:
> >
> > Good afternoon list,
> > I have a single board computer with 2 cpu each running their own netbsd
> > kernel:
> >
> > PHY--CPU1-----------logic---------CPU2---PHY
> >             mii bus         mii bus
> >
> > after I'm done processing a packet on CPU1 how can I address it
> > to CPU2?
>
> If you drew that diagram right, then I think you need to write a network
> interface driver that talks on the mii bus between the CPUs and the
> mysterious "logic".  Once you do that, UDP should suffice.

That would probably be:

   CPU1--MAC1--mii--Xover--mii--MAC2--CPU2

In which case you just use TCP/IP or UDP/IP

The only slight problem is that some of the ethernet MAC drivers don't
like driving their mii interface FDX without a PHY on the far end.
(And maybe some of the MAC chips don't like it either, but many do).

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk