Subject: Re: msdosfs: the fatblock() function is called many many times
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Juan RP <juan@xtrarom.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/18/2005 00:27:40
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 02:26:17 +0200
Juan RP <juan@nocturno.xtrarom.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to know why the msdosfs is so slow copying
> large files (>500MB), and I tried to profile the kernel to
> see the statistics:

Christos suggested me to inline the fatblock() function and
run the test again.

The statistics with the inline function is here:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/xtraeme/gprof_msdosfs.txt

The fatblock() function disappeared from the stats, but the performance
wasn't much better than before... <2MB/s writing to the msdosfs
partition on my SATA drive:

wd0 at atabus0 drive 0: <Maxtor 6Y080M0>
wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 6 (Ultra/133)